Now Hiring: Builder
May 30, 2023
As a Split Rock Studios Builder, you will utilize your mastery of build techniques, understanding of CAD drawings, and real-world experiences to create 100% custom exhibit components that are high quality, functional, easily installed, and true to the designer and client’s vision.
The Ideal Candidate is…
- Self-motivated. You are able to work independently on complex and deadline-driven projects, asking questions as needed to keep the project on track.
- Diplomatic. You communicate with respect and clarity to project team members, other builders and artists, and most importantly, our clients.
- Innovative. Being creative, resourceful, and solution-oriented comes naturally to you, so you’re excited for the variety associated with 100% custom projects.
- Read and understand building blueprints and detailed construction drawings.
- Coordinate with Purchaser to ensure all component parts and materials are acquired in an efficient manner prior to start of construction.
- Redline prints with necessary edits and return them to CAD detailer for revision.
- Advise designers on build strategy, durability, and functionality.
- Prototype components to ensure they work well in an exhibit environment.
- Set up and test simple electronic components prior to on site installation.
- Build and Assembly
- Measure, cut and assemble custom cabinetry, furniture, and mechanical interactives, and more based on CAD drawings.
- Process and assemble CNC parts as needed.
- Continuously evaluate components for ease of installation, communicating concerns with Shop Foreman and PM for troubleshooting.
- Operate the following machinery skillfully, safely, and effectively:
- Saws (table saw, rolling bed table saw, band saw, horizontal metal cutting band saw)
- Miter box
- Drill press
- Hammer Drill
- Pocket hole machine
- Hinge machine
- Pinch roller
- Power hand tools
- Nail/staple guns
- Apply laminates, veneers, and other surface finishes to exhibit components
- Prep components for paint booth.
- Install graphics, interactive components, and overlays onto finished piece.
- Pack exhibit components safely and load them onto truck for transportation to site.
- Travel to job site via car, truck, or plane as determined by management.
- Prepare job site for installation including moving obstacles, prepping doorways, and laying down poly sheeting to protect floors.
- Unload exhibit components from truck into exhibit installation area in a safe and professional manner
- Complete exhibit installation tasks as needed, including but not limited to:
- Leading the install team, and/or taking direction from the Lead Builder.
- Placing and securing cabinetry, reading rails, graphics, and exhibit furniture.
- Using ladders and lifts to hang graphics, taxidermy, and overhead pieces.
- Troubleshooting surprises and challenges as needed in partnership with Project Manager.
- Assisting artists, graphics installers, and lighting designers as needed based on agreed upon project scope of work.
- Answering client questions throughout installation while working to eliminate any punch list items.
- Cleaning exhibit area completely prior to departure.
- Lift a minimum of 75lbs safely.
- Move and maneuver heavy loads efficiently, asking for assistance as needed for safe operation at SRS shop and on-site
- When traveling, Builder may work 12 hour days consistently for up to 12 straight days.
- Withstand long periods on your feet (Builders are primarily on their feet all day or moving around the shop).
- Work overtime when needed, including occasional weekends when traveling.
- Builders are required to travel to project sites as needed to measure buildings and/or install exhibits. This can include travel by car, truck, or plane. Willingness to fly is a requirement.
- Installations are typically completed in two weeks. For large projects, installation may be broken up into multiple two-week phases.
- Depending on the installation, 12 hour days may be required in order to complete the project in a timely manner. These 12 hour days can continue for up to 12 days straight.
- Travel is confirmed and communicated three weeks prior to installation. Builder schedules are taken into consideration when planning projects and installation dates
To apply, please submit a resume to email@example.com.