Now Hiring: Exhibit Designer
July 19, 2021
The Exhibit Designer works closely with the developer, graphic designer, project manager, and key client contacts to create a seamless visitor experience that meets project goals and objectives.
- With the developer, conduct a start-up meeting with the client and stakeholders to determine storylines, themes, and goals of the exhibition
- Create a bubble plan that places major exhibit areas on floor plan, based on exhibit priorities and hierarchy
- With the developer and estimator, brainstorm ideas, interactives, and best media to express exhibit topics and content, being cognizant of audience, goals, client, SRS build needs, and project budget
- Create concept sketches or renderings of major exhibit areas or ideas, coded to the development documents
- Create a floor plan with an accurate footprint of exhibit areas, coded to the development documents
- Work with the graphic designer and developer to develop graphic approach to the exhibition
- Prototype interactives and participate in evaluation process, as needed (for major projects)
- Start to develop a “look book” that expresses the visual approach to the exhibition (styles of illustration, murals, etc.). This may be an internal document that develops into the design development art reference package.
- Ensure that the client is being heard and responded to regarding exhibit interpretation and design
- Prepare elevation drawings of all exhibits, including size, material usage, and layout. These should be based on client feedback and reflect budget realities. The drawings may also include traffic flow, ADA requirements, or other details as required.
- Refine floor plan that shows all exhibits and location in the physical space
- Prepare materials, finish, and color samples
- Prepare a lighting and reflected ceiling plan, as required
- Prepare an electrical and data plan, as required
- Compile spec sheets for off-the-shelf components
- In conjunction with the graphic designer, create overview artifact layouts. Design specialty mounts or shelving as needed
- With the developer, create a props list, with sources
- Create graphic elevations that show locations and sizes of all graphics
- With developer, compile art fabrication reference package, showing species, colors, styles, time of day, reference photos, and other details for all original artwork, illustrations, commissioned photographs, and specialty components
- Present final design to Production team at hand-off meeting for CAD and fabrication
- Advise and respond to Production team questions as needed
- Review AV and interactive submittals from subcontractors
Fabrication and close-out
- Monitor art fabrication and shop build for quality control and design intent
- Create graphic elevations that show locations and real sizes of all graphics, to provide to installation crew
- Place artifacts in exhibit cases, as needed
- Travel to site to focus final lighting and assist installation crew as needed
- Compile final copy of project documents for archives and client
Sales and marketing
- Brainstorm creative ideas and approaches for major proposals, as needed
- Participate in phone and in-person interviews with prospective clients, as needed
Other Requirements and Desired Qualifications
- BS degree in design-related field
- Proficient in Vectorworks or other 3D design software, Adobe Suite; preference for CAD software and digital interface experience
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, including conceptual sketching
- Travel to client facility for on-site design presentations
- Work well with project team members throughout design, build, and installation phases
- Juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Facilitate meetings with a variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrate both big-picture and detailed-oriented thinking
- Stay up to date on design trends, especially within the exhibition field
- Understand building systems including HVAC, plumbing, flooring, electrical, low voltage, and more
This is not a remote position.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and exhibition design sample or portfolio link to Info@splitrockstudios.com with the subject line “Exhibit Designer.” No phone calls, please.
Split Rock Studios is an equal opportunity employer seeking diversity in our personnel. People of Color, women, LGBTQIAA+, and allies are encouraged to apply.
Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications.