Now Hiring: Exhibit Designer
October 24, 2023
The exhibit designer expresses the content, themes, and goals of the exhibition all 3D media. You’ll work closely with the developer, graphic designer, and clients to create a seamless visitor experience that meets the client’s goals and objectives, and produce drawings that communicate design intent and describe how the exhibition is organized in a space, its shape, dimensions, materials, and general construction.
Areas of Responsibility and Specific Responsibilities:
- Conceptual Development
- With the developer, conduct a start-up meeting with the client and stakeholders to determine storylines, themes, and goals of the exhibition
- Create bubble plan that places major exhibit areas on floor plan, based on exhibit priorities and hierarchy
- With the developer, brainstorm ideas, interactives, and best media to express exhibit topics and content, being cognizant of audience, goals, client, SRS build needs, and budget
- Create concept sketches or renderings of major exhibit areas or ideas, coded to the development documents
- Create a floor plan with an accurate footprint of exhibit areas, coded to the development documents
- Work with the graphic designer and developer to develop graphic approach to the exhibition
- Prototype interactives and participate in evaluation process, as needed (for major projects)
- Start to develop a “look book” that expresses the visual approach to the exhibition (styles of illustration, murals, etc.). This may be an internal document that develops into the design development art reference package.
- Ensure that the client is being heard and responded to regarding exhibit interpretation and design
- Design Development
- Prepare elevation drawings of all exhibits, including size, material usage, and layout. These should be based on client feedback and reflect budget realities. The drawings may also include traffic flow, ADA requirements, or other details as required.
- Refine floor plan that shows all exhibits and location in the physical space
- Prepare materials, finish, and color samples
- Prepare a lighting and reflected ceiling plan, as required
- Prepare an electrical and data plan, as required
- Compile spec sheets for off-the-shelf components
- In conjunction with the graphic designer, create overview artifact layouts. Design specialty mounts or shelving as needed
- With the developer, create a props list, with sources
- Create graphic elevations that show locations and sizes of all graphics
- With developer, compile art fabrication reference package, showing species, colors, styles, time of day, reference photos, and other details for all original artwork, illustrations, commissioned photographs, and specialty components
- Present final design to Production team at Production hand-off meeting for CAD and fabrication
- Advise and respond to CAD design questions, as needed
- Fabrication and Close-Out
- Monitor art fabrication and shop build for quality control and design intent
- Create graphic elevations that show locations and real sizes of all graphics to provide to installation crew
- Place final artifact in case, as needed
- Focus final lighting, as needed
- Travel to site to present to clients throughout the design process
- Comfortable facilitating and leading meetings with a variety of stakeholders
- Occasional presentations at sales interviews or for prospective clients
- Strong oral and visual communication skills, including conceptual sketching
- Flexible team player with strong leadership skills
- Big picture and detail oriented
- Up to date on current design trends with the exhibition field
- Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with various types of building systems including, but not limited to HVAC, plumbing, flooring, electrical, and low voltage
- BS degree in design-related field
- Proficient in Vectorworks or other 3D software, Adobe Suite; preference for CAD software and digital interface experience
To apply, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Exhibit Designer Position” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Compensation commensurate with experience and salary history.
Split Rock Studios is an equal opportunity employer.